Easy Peasy, Crowd-Pleasing Brunch Casserole
We all want an easy, crowd-pleasing brunch casserole recipe to add to our repertoire when our favorite guests come to visit. Here's one of my favorites that has proven to ask for seconds each time I've served it. Bonus, this casserole is made the night before, so just refrigerate it overnight so all you have to do the next morning is throw it in the oven and voila! Easy peasy and happy guests!
1 loaf sourdough French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (OR 1/2 loaf of bread, but without the crust)
1 pkg crescent rolls
2 pounds sausage, sliced or ground (ground beef can be used instead, if desired)
1 10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups milk
6 large eggs
3 cups (12-oz) shredded cheddar cheese (or use mozzarella/Monterrey jack cheese)
1 package of thin ham slices
salt and pepper to taste
onions (1/3 cup)
green onions (to garnish if desired)
1. Spray glass baking dish. Then place the crescent rolls on bottom of glass dish and seal ends.
2. In a large skillet, brown sausage (or ground beef, if desired). (Optional: Add 1/3 cup diced onions when browning meat, if desired.) Place on top of crescent rolls.
3. Blend eggs, soup, and milk in a medium bowl and add salt and pepper. Pour 1/3 mixture over crescent rolls and sausage in baking dish. Sprinkle 2/3 cup cheddar cheese on top.
4. Alternate layers of thin ham slices, cheese, bread cubes, (cooked bacon, if desired), and egg mixture in glass baking dish.
5. Top with cheese.
6. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 325°F.
8. Bake covered with aluminum foil for 60-90 minutes. Bake uncovered for the last 15-20 minutes, or until golden; let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
* Make this casserole the night before and refrigerate overnight.
* If you want to take it up a notch, serve with avocados, fresh fruit and breakfast potatoes.