Mom's Chili Cook-Off Winning Recipe
This is a family recipe that is fairly quick and easy to make. It was even a winner at the Creighton Dental School chili cook off, so it must be somewhat tasty... :)
2 lb Ground Beef
1 small onion (chopped)
1 green pepper (diced)
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
6-8 stalks of celery
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 (small) can tomato paste
1 1-lb 12oz can diced tomatoes
2 cans kidney beans (or 1 can chili beans / 1 can kidney beans)
1. Brown the meat with the onions. You can add fresh garlic as well.
2. Add green pepper, salt, paprika, chili powder.
3. Add celery, tomato paste, and tomatoes.
4. Simmer for 1 hour.
5. Add beans and simmer for 30 more minutes (before serving).
* Don't add the beans until 1/2 hour to 1 hour before serving.
* I prefer chili the next day so many times I make this the night before.
* My preference is for non-spicy chili, but feel free to add some heat as well.
* Feel free to doctor up the chili by serving with sour cream, chives, shredded cheese,
Fritos/oyster crackers. This is perfect for easy and quick entertaining as guests can
go through the "chili bar" and customize the chili to their liking.
* Serve with cornbread &/or my favorite, cinnamon rolls, for a little Midwestern flair and